Jadaiman DaCosta joined the Via Evaluation team in 2015. Mrs. DaCosta has always had a love for teaching, and her passion for education reform sparked her interest in research on the impact of race and socioeconomic status (culture and society) on students’ education. Therefore, she sought opportunities to work with students, teachers, and community members to create a positive school culture of continuous learning.
Prior to working with a diverse student population as a substitute teacher at Health Sciences Charter School in the city of Buffalo, Mrs. DaCosta was an AmeriCorps Builds Lives through Education (ABLE) member. As an ABLE member, she assisted English teachers in teaching 9th, 10th, and 11th grade students. She planned and taught an African-American studies elective, where students learned to persevere and appreciate their struggles. Mrs. DaCosta also worked as a literacy specialist with students in English 9 who needed Academic Intervention Services (AIS). In English 9 AIS, she designed and implemented units of instruction using the Understanding by Design Framework that infused vocabulary acquisition. Her units were aligned with the Common Core Learning Standards and she created authentic formative assessments. A firm believer in culturally relevant pedagogy, Mrs. DaCosta empowered students to understand their purpose of reading.
Mrs. DaCosta holds a MS ED from Niagara University and a MA from the State University at Buffalo, where she was awarded the Arthur A. Schomburg Fellowship. While not a work, Mrs. DaCosta loves spending time with her husband and daughter; and learning about different holistic health practices.
• MS, Science in Education: Secondary Education-Middle Childhood and Adolescence 5-12: Niagara University
• MA, American Studies: University at Buffalo
• BA, International Studies & African American Studies: University at Buffalo
• American Evaluation Association Conference, 2016
• American Evaluation Association Conference, 2015
• Education, Training, and Research (ETR): Data Collector Training, 2016
• The Evaluator’s Institute: The Basics of Program Evaluation, 2015
• Microsoft Excel 2010 Mastery Course, 2015
• MVP Security Certification, Security Training, 2016
• HIPPA Certification 2016, HIPAA Security & Privacy Training, 2016
• National Institute of Health (NIH) IRB Certification for Protection of Human Research Participants, 2015
• Green Security, LLC Clearance
• DaCosta, J. (2016, October). A Beginner’s Guide to Site Visits. American Evaluation Association 2016 Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA.