Dr. Gary Ciurczak started Via Evaluation (under its previous name of Ciurczak & Co.) in 1998 after spending 10 years as an internal evaluator at a national non-profit headquartered in Buffalo, NY. From the beginning, Dr. Ciurczak concentrated on building strong relationships with clients, supporting their strengths, and listening to their needs. He also honed-in on several key elements of evaluation practice and evaluation practice management: developing and using high-quality evaluation skills, continually obtaining additional training in these areas, and providing the same opportunities to all staff at Via Evaluation. These relationships, this model, and the resulting expert work on grant proposals and program evaluations by the team, grew Via Evaluation. Gary conducted and managed evaluations in colleges, universities, school districts, BOCES, and nonprofits for projects funded by the US Departments of Education and Health and Human Services as well as projects funded by the NYS Education Department and other state agencies, and several foundations.
Dr. Ciurczak. as a co-owner, provides support to the new leaders at Via Evaluation, CEO Komani Lundquist, and President Jessica Weitzel. Dr. Ciurczak is a long-time member of two organizations: the American Evaluation Association, and the Grants Professionals Association.
Gary earned a BA, M.A., and PhD in sociology, and an MA in economics from the University at Buffalo. He’s also completed two year-long courses in strategic business management. While in graduate school, he discovered an affinity for the Spanish language, and is now studying it again. He has found it very useful in evaluation projects already, and he hopes to continue to use the language more in future projects.
• PhD Sociology: University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
• MA Sociology: University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
• MA Economics: University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
• BA Sociology: University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
• Gary Ciurczak (Via Evaluation), “Evaluation Workshop” Second Annual Faculty Grants Boot Camp at St. John Fisher College, Rochester, NY, June 7, 2017.
• National Association for Bilingual Education: Transformative Leadership in Dual Language Education, 2017
• New York State Association for Bilingual Education, 2017
• Chicago Grant Professionals Association Annual Conference, 2017
• American Evaluation Association Conference, 2016
• American Evaluation Association Conference, 2015
• Grant Professionals Association Conference, 2014
• Grant Professionals Association Conference, 2013
• American Evaluation Association: Lean Thinking for Program Evaluation, 2013
• American Evaluation Association: Developing Monitoring and Evaluation Frameworks, 2013
• American Evaluation Association: Advanced Evaluation Methods, Concepts & Problems, 2012
• American Evaluation Association: Propensity Score Matching: Theories and Applications, 2012
• American Evaluation Association: Longitudinal Data Analysis: From the Classics to Modern Structural Equation Modeling, 2011
• American Evaluation Association: Developmental Evaluation: Applying Complexity Concepts to Enhance Innovation and Use, 2011
• The Evaluator’s Institute: Using Non-experimental Designs for Impact Evaluation, 2010
• Results Based Accountability Training, 2010
• The Evaluator’s Institute: Evaluation Consulting Business Skills, 2009
• The Evaluator’s Institute: Alternative Evaluation Designs, 2009
• The Evaluator’s Institute: Management for Evaluators and Those with Oversight Responsibility, 2007
• The Evaluator’s Institute: Management for Evaluators, 2006
• Joint Conference of the American Evaluation Association and the Canadian Evaluation Society: Quantitative Research, 2005
• Joint Conference of the American Evaluation Association and the Canadian Evaluation Society: Random Clinical Trials, 2005
• MVP Security Certification, Security Training, 2016
• HIPPA Certification 2016, HIPAA Security & Privacy Training, 2016
• Green Security, LLC Clearance, 2016
• I.R.B. for Human Participants Protection Education for Research for Social and Behavioral Sciences Institutional Review. National Science Foundation, Grants Training.
Gary Ciurczak (Via Evaluation), “Choose the Right External Evaluator and Win More Grants,” Grant Professionals Association 19th Annual Conference, San Diego, CA, November 9, 2017.
Gary Ciurczak (Via Evaluation), “Project Evaluation Workshop” Rochester Institute of Technology/National Technical Institute for the Deaf, Rochester, NY, January 22, 2015.
Gary Ciurczak (Via Evaluation), “Great Evaluation Plans and How to Write Them” Grant Professionals Association 16th Annual Conference, Portland, OR, October 18, 2014.
Gary Ciurczak (Via Evaluation), “Planning for Evaluation Capacity Development in Santiago Chile Metropolitan Region Schools with National and International Partners” 27th Annual Conference of the American Evaluation Association, Washington DC, October 18, 2013
Gary Ciurczak (Via Evaluation) and Dr. Kathleen Toms (Research Works, Inc.), “The Development of New York State’s 21st Century Community Learning Center Evaluation Manual: A Journey of Collaboration, Resistance and Dialogue” 26th Annual Conference of the American Evaluation Association, Minneapolis, MN, October 25, 2012.
Gary Ciurczak (Via Evaluation), Samantha Hagel and Leah Goldstein Moses (The Improve Group), Richard Hezel (Hezel Associates LLC), “Improving Evaluation Practice Management During Chaotic Economic Times: Three CEOs Reflect on Strategic and Innovative Diversification, Budgeting, and Employee Support and Development” 26th Annual Conference of the American Evaluation Association, Minneapolis, MN, October 25, 2012.
Gary Ciurczak and Ciurczak Colleagues on “Statewide APR Data 2005-06 – What is the federal government seeing from New York ?” at the annual conference for 21st Century Community Learning Centers and Extended School Day/School Violence Prevention, Tarrytown New York, November 28th, 2007.
Gary Ciurczak “ What do you mean, ‘How are we doing?’ ” , guest speaker for “Mission, Money, Metrics, and Mobility: Current Issues in Nonprofit Leadership” course at the Center for Professional Development at Canisius College, October 15, 2007 – November 5, 2007.
Gary Ciurczak, Ciurczak Colleagues and Debra Fuchs Nadeau from the New York State Center for School Safety on “Realistic Objectives – Holy Grail?” at the annual conference for 21st Century Community Learning Centers and Extended School Day/School Violence Prevention, Albany New York, June 8th, 2005.Kaiser, M., King, D., Fogan, M., & Ciurczak, G. “Sharing the Evidence: How Works of Art Used as ‘Texts’ Deepen Teaching and Enrich Learning,” Presented at the 67th Annual Conference of the National School Board Association: San Francisco, CA, April, 2007.
James, R., & Ciurczak, G. “Student Voices: A Five-Year Study of Student Ideas on Improving Learning, School Safety, Risk-Prevention, and Relationships,” Research brief #4, NYS Center for School Safety, February, 2004.
Ciurczak, G. “Implementing Utilization-Focused Evaluation”. Presented at the Annual Conference, New York State Education Department, Division of Bilingual Education: New York City, NY, 2005.
Ciurczak, G. “Student self-esteem and academic achievement: Case history in Buffalo, NY,” Presented at the Annual Convention of New York State School Boards Association: Albany, NY, 1991.
Ciurczak, G. “Changes in self-concept in at-risk, inner-city alternative school transescents with teacher, parent, and community involvement,” Presented at the National Middle School Association 17th Annual Conference: Long Beach, CA, 1990.